So you’re curious about candle making & want to know how to DIY yourself to a candle empire? First things first, you need to get your hands on some Soy wax. You can easily purchase soy wax flakes to make your own fabulous candles, however how are these flakes made?
To make soy wax, we first need soybeans. Once harvested, the beans are cleaned, cracked, de-hulled and rolled into flakes. The oil is then extracted from the flakes and hydrogenated.
As the Hydrogenation process takes place it converts some of the fatty acids in the oil from unsaturated to saturated. This process dramatically changed the melting point of the oil, making it a solid at room temperature.
When you combine melted soy wax with the right combination of 100% pure essential oils then that’s when you get naturally scented soy wax candles that do no harm to the environment or your health.
Now don’t get ahead of yourself, before you’re able to combine your soy wax with your chosen natural essential oil mix you must first collect a few other items.
These items include:
- A wick
- Glue or tape to help hold the wick to the bottom of your jar
- A jar or container that is heat-proof, remember this container will hold liquid wax.
- Something to stir your melted wax & oil with (paddle pop sticks work great)
- Measuring cup to help keep track of the correct amounts to use
MIXING ESSENTIAL OILS
The key to creating wonderful scents that will resonate is to keep in mind to always include oils from each of these families in your mix: Tops notes, Middle notes and Base Note oils.
- If you are using old candles, pour the boiling water into the old containers and leave to cool.
- Remove the wax floating on the top.
- Use dishwashing liquid and hot water to clean up any excess wax or soot.
- Dry the glass containers.
- Cut small pieces of sticky tape and fold to make double-sided tape then place in the middle of the bottom of each jar.
- Cut the wicks so that about 4cm comes out the top of the jar.
- Use a skewer to press them into the sticky tape so they stick to the bottom.
- Place a skewer over the top and wrap the wick to hold it up in the middle.
- Measure out the soy wax flakes (you will need double the amount - eg if your candle is 1 cup capacity, you will need 2 cups of soy wax flakes).
- Place the flakes in a heat-proof jug and microwave for 1 minutes.
- Remove and stir then microwave for 1 minute again then stir.
- If there are still solid flakes, microwave for 20 seconds at a time until dissolved.
- Add the fragrance oil, stir and then pour the wax into the jars.
- Make sure the wicks are in the centre then leave the wax to set for 12 hours.
- Trim the wicks to 1 inch.
As you can begin to wonder, the real magic in creating natural scented candles is in the art of creating your own unique blend of naturally scented soy candles which resonate within you. That’s what makes the Scent-ual collection by PhyllisK New York so special.
Phyllis Keitlen was able to harness the power of her emotions and instill them in masterfully crafted scents that transport you to new places far and beyond.